Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Slice of Life - Reading is Hard

Our bedtime read aloud is The Lightening Thief, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1 by Rick Riordan and I'm struggling a little bit.  I find myself asking is it fantasy?  Is it a myth?  Is it science fiction?  Is it adventure?  Either way, these genres are not in my comfort zone.  I've been working on reading fantasy because my girls like fantasy.  You could say it's my personal reading goal.

I actually feel okay about my comprehension.  I have to pay attention and ask questions to confirm my character connections.  A little who is who with my daughter.  I've also learned I pay attention better if I am doing the reading but when she is reading I follow along as she goes to help me stay focused.  These probably don't feel like big struggles and as I write about them I realize I have figured out strategies to help me be a more successful reader. 

However, my real struggle that continues each night is my decoding of character specific terms and names.  I don't know who many times I can attempt satyr to only have my "parrot" repeat the correct pronunciation in my ear.  Each time my helpful "parrot" rescues me I just want to cringe and then I start a grumbling feeling where I might not like this book.  However, this book is my youngest daughter's favorite book so I will persevere and overcome my struggles with decoding.  Together can overcomes  struggles and I need to remember this when student's need a little support and also be a little bit more gentle with those "parrot" reminders.


Thank you Two Writing Teachers for hosting and fostering this writing community.

3 comments:

  1. I struggled with that book, too. Actually, I don't think I ever finished it. I wish I would have had a reading buddy. Even a parrot. :) Best of luck - hope you end up enjoying the book overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, I began to explore fantasy when Molly fell in love with that genre. Although it's not my first choice, I find that I do enjoy many books in this genre. I'm exactly like you...stumbling over unfamiliar names and places and I have little background knowledge for these books. It gives me a new perspective when working with my own young readers. Enjoy The Lightening Thief! I know I was hooked after reading this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this book aloud makes it more difficult, since those tricky names would be skimmed over when reading silently. Luckily you have someone to discuss the parts that confuse you. Discussion is key to comprehension. We don't often find ourselves having difficulty reading, so when it happens we can relate to students even more.

    ReplyDelete