Friday, March 13, 2015

Slice of Life - A Quiet Haiku



It's quiet here right now.  
There's something about the quiet.  
Calming and soothing.




I sat down to write something different and the silence of my house jumped out at me and soon I had a little Haiku.  It's rare for a house of 5 to be quiet.  It's rare for a classroom of 21 to be quiet and I don't think either should be quiet for very long.  However, there is something to savor about quiet.  Quiet helps me think.  Quiet helps me rest.  Quiet encourages renewal.  I often wonder if I savor quiet and stillness because I am with lots of people most of my day.  Teaching is a demanding profession and yet what quiet does for me is essential to keep me going.  

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for fostering and organizing this writing challenge.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely. Thanks for adding some more peace to my quiet time here at midnight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an odd comment, but I love the word lovely. I so rarely see it used, and I never think to use it myself. It's just such a lovely little word. Thank you for using it! It's exactly what this post was.

      Delete
  2. hmm...back to back...I hadn't though about that but should have as I finished a long post at 9:08 pm MT and posted it at 12:16 am ET. It would have made two posts... even with a natural break

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quiet is something to savor after a day in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. I savor my small moments of quiet. About once a month, both of my roommates are at work on a weekend, and the cats are all asleep. And I get to just sit, and read, and soak up the silence.

    ReplyDelete