Sunday, March 22, 2015

Slice of Life - Big Project on Hold

I've been thinking about really launching some digital literacy work in my classroom.  I thought about doing it last week with standardized testing but didn't think I could juggle trying to finish up work in progress and getting into the computer lab several days in a row.  Then I thought about it launching it this week but realized this might not be the best idea I've had with spring break approaching.  We are going to be excited about this very important work and I'd love for them to using it over spring break.  This important and exciting work will require me to do more work behind the scenes.  

However, I'm going to be selfish and not launch our work this week because I've decided that spring break this year will be school free.  I'm not going to read a professional book.  I'm not going to read anything in children's literature.  I'm not going to work with apps or technology in any way related to school.  Ok, learning how to use some apps on personal topics might lead to something later in my classroom but my initial learning of these apps will be personal.  

I've made these decisions far in advance and I keep talking to myself about them because they are the opposite of what I do most breaks from school.  I'm really good about shutting down from school during the summer and being with the girls for a bit of time.  However, all other times of the year I am usually in full school mode and this year in general while working really hard at a new/returning to grade level I am trying to find balance and myself within a lot of school work.  I want to model to my girls that you can and should be able to walk away from school/work and still be true to yourself.  

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for fostering and organizing this writing challenge.

5 comments:

  1. Lots of clapping here. I am not so good at balancing the school/home work thing. Like you, though, I think I need to be true to myself. I am trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Yes -- all decisions do include give and take, and scenario-building. You will not be sorry taking spring break for you and your family. I should too; I need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you hit the nail on the head. It's about trying to find a balance. I often find myself in the same position as you, wanting to do my best for my school kids, but knowing that you still have young children to be there for. My colleagues have grown children (or almost grown) and I find it hard to not compare myself to them and think that I have to be committing the same amount of time to school that they do. You have to do what is best for you. Enjoy your Spring Break doing what YOU want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so hard to walk away from a passion. Clearly you aren't "JUST" a teacher. Enjoy your break and your girls. It'll be there when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This break from school is meant to refresh and energize so you have the stamina to end the year strong. When you take care of you and follow your own passions for a week, you will be eager to get back to the classroom. So enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete