Sunday, March 1, 2015

Slice of Life - 10 Things Right Now

Sundays begin a new week.  The first begins a new month and often both events encourage a little reflection.  I first heard of this idea for writing from Ali Edwards and love how this makes me focus on the moment right now.

1.  I'm so excited to captured snippets of my classroom/professional life this month here and I woke up this morning considering a notebook, paper and pencil for maybe a personal month of slicing.

2.  I'm making a list of things I need to get ready for a new student who is starting tomorrow.  I want him to feel welcomed and not overwhelmed or left out.  It's amazing all the little things that get done earlier in the year to make a classroom function.

3.  I need to take some pet supplies I ordered to school tomorrow.  The turtle needed a new heat lamp and bulb.  The fish needed new filters and I got things to set up a fire belly toad habitat.  I've never had fire belly toads and I'm feeling a bit nervous but they are so cute!

4.  I need to be more consistent with my documentation of our work together and I have some thinking to make that happen.

5.  I spent last week having special reading meetings with my students.  It's been a while since I've taught second grade and I wanted to do two things.  I wanted to make sure my students were on target for district benchmarks.  I wanted to confirm with evidence my students were growing and my teaching was working.  Ok, I had three reasons; I wanted to use current data to help me plan.

6.  I need to collect my piles of books I ordered and purchased in the last couple of weeks for the room.  It was a bit dangerous having delays or snow/cold days off.  

7.  It's been excited to plan and carryout science experiments with my students and I can't wait to plan more tonight.  Their excitement generates more for me.  It's easy to forget how discovering and uncovering learning for the first time can be.

8.  I am very grateful for friends in another building who were so kind to electronically share with me their air and weather activities.  It really got my brain going and jumpstarted our learning.

9.  It's overwhelming making a grade level change but I love it!  So with this love and feeling that my whole self is grounded personally and professionally I remind myself take each day at a time, take notes for next year and breathe.

10.  Making time for short transitional book read alouds has been very important!  Our reading workshop is in a flurry.  Students are reading easier text and excited about finishing more books.  Students are reading books they might have missed because sometimes reading thicker is perceived as better.  Students are getting to know characters better because they are reading more about them.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for fostering and organizing this writing challenge.

15 comments:

  1. A grade level change certainly is overwhelming! I remember going from 5th to 4th (granted that was the same year I moved AND got married) and I remember being exhausted.

    Thanks for posting another one of these lists. I'm going to share it on 3/10 in the Be Inspired section of the daily call.

    Glad you're joining us again this year, Mandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh, no moves, marriages, or babies here but all three of my girls changed schools - college, high school, and middle school. I guess I needed to follow.

      Delete
  2. Whew! Your list holds a lot of plans! It's amazing how much preparation and planning teachers do outside of school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will still your Ten Things idea for a writing day for my own posts! Excited about the reading that is going on in your class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I love this idea, and I'm going to ask my seniors to write ten thoughts about being a senior and/or graduating soon. Second, I'm exhausted after reading this list; elementary teachers have to learn so much about so many subjects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for recognizing the elementary world is quite different. There are days I think middle and high school look inviting.

      Delete
  5. Right now your life is as busy as can be, but yet you write, read, and comment. I must say I am a bit intrigued about the fire belly toad. I've never heard of this critter. Hope you might write about it this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to write about this fire belly toad adventure. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. You have been busy! I love that you have writing at the top of the list and include a reminder to breathe. So important! I'd be curious to know which transitional chapter books your kiddos enjoyed the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercy Watson and Nate the Great became all the rage. So excited to read aloud Mr. Putty and Tabby this week, didn't realize there were new ones until Franki shared that a couple of weeks ago.

      Delete
  7. I love the strategy of writing about 10 things right now. I will certainly give this one a try sometime soon! I am also in a new position this year....and there is so much that goes into making the shift. {Breathe.} So wise! Happy slicing this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this as an idea for a writing prompt! I think students' list of 10 could be so varied and eye opening. I hope all goes well with your fire bellied frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A list is always a good way to write. I'm happy to see your words this March.
    Happy writing,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. More pets? Why am I not surprised? Loved the structure of this post: 10 Things Right Now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm tired reading your list! So, so, so much going on! I'd love to be a student in your classroom-- new books and fire belly toads! Sounds like a whole lot of learning will be going on this week!

    ReplyDelete