Sunday, January 4, 2015

Nourish - One Little Word 2015

Happy New Year 2015, better late than never and I wanted to share with you my One Little Word for 2015.  Instead of creating a New Years Resolution and always wanting to have many I've chosen to participate in the One Little Word project and ideas from scrapbooker/storyteller Ali Edwards.  If you haven't read anything by Ali, I highly recommend you stop by her blog.  The past seven years I have chosen enjoy, aware, nuture, discover, change, create, and embrace. 

This year before winter break, I wrote a Slice of Life title - It's dead, but wait....!  I didn't realize that was the beginning of my One Little Word selection journey.  With some nurturing and some nourishment that thought for dead, plant is making a great comeback.  Green shoots keep popping up.  Green shoots keep growing taller and I'm anticipating some buds might appear soon.  Then I went succulent plant shopping with my oldest.  She's all giddy about succulent plants and it was so fun watching her ooo and ahhh over these cute little plants.  I walked around the indoor plant area of this store and I realized I use to have more plants in my home.  I have lots of live plants in my classroom.  I then began to wonder if I have been ignoring some things in my home and my life.

These two recent plant events led me to dictionary.com with lots of thinking pondering and thinking over nurture and nourish.  I purposefully didn't want to pick nurture because the definition involves a strong message about teaching.  My life needs to be more than teaching in my home and out of my home.  I also didn't realize I had even picked nurture previously until I started researching my blog for this post.  I think that sends a strong message that nurture didn't work back then very well if I can't even remember selecting it.

If you follow me on Instagram you will see a video of my first documentation with nourish and how I've gotten to know my word for the year.  Parts two and three of the definition really solidified this word choice for me this year - to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up or promote.  I discovered lots of words in the thesaurus but three words made my heart flutter; cultivate, sustain, and encourage.  I think nourish is an invitation for many areas of my life; writing, reading, creating, playing, relationships, and health.  In my previous six years of choosing One Little Word, relationships never came up within my selection process.  I need to do some exploring, mending, and adjusting with relationships and myself.  I hope nourish will help me continue to find balance, let go, be present, and do things I enjoy.  

I've kept my journey with my One Little Word quite private during the year but hope to write about it monthly.  I'm always inspired by Maria's monthly updates.  I was also listening to two podcasts at the gym this week from the Elise Gets Crafty show and found some inspiration to keep nourish present in my life.  Crystal Moody was a guest and shared her goal of sketching all last year and how posting and sharing her sketches on Instagram was encouraging and motivating.  So, I hope to share ways I keep nourish alive with the hashtag #olwnourish and I think it will be fun to see the different areas in my life nourish is thriving.  

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you picked the perfect word for your year ahead. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the thought you put into your word. Like you, when my plants start dying, I know it's time to pay better attention to myself and my home life. Her' swishing you a wonderful 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy,
    I am inspired by the thinking beyond your one little word. You know I struggle with plants so maybe I should think a bit more about relationships as well. (You will, however, be happy to know that I am typing in a room with three alive plants --- wait, one desperately needs watered. Be right back...)

    Picking up plant...

    Watering....

    Also, I do think this post may be an attempt to get me on Instagram so I can see all that you are up to with your OLW. Maybe when you join Facebook I will join Instagram...lol.

    Good luck with your OLW. May it bring you much discovery and joy as you embrace your journey and become more aware of your relationships. May this new lens help you to nurture yourself as you enjoy the changes which create unanticipated opportunities.

    I am looking forward to your updates. Now off to water the rest of my plants.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the journey of your OLW. It's always exciting to see everyone choices for their word.

    ReplyDelete